Bilingual Fingers//双语手指

I love English & Chinese
"My life and Singapore aren't perfect"

How to do well for Social Studies and History?

posted by cockroach//蟑螂 at Sunday, January 28, 2007 12:59 PM

From time to time, people had been jealous about me for being able to do well for my humanities subjects. They assuming that I memories everything word by word. They assuming that I read the whole textbook in order to do well for my exam. They assuming that – Cockroach is a hardworking boy.

But, the fact is that I don’t really like the way people study for humanities. I find it a bit wrong by using those methods to study. I know someone who memories the whole textbook, I know someone who write out the notes again and again. I also know someone learn with a unique way – sleeping on the history textbook, hoping information can goes into the head.

To be honest, I don’t really like to study history or social studies. Why should we study dead people? But we have no choice; I made myself love humanities by study further. Sorry, I don’t like using textbook. If I have a choice, I would not want to buy any textbook. I would want to go to the library to find out all the information.

Yes. I guess I do well because I read more than what I need to. I don’t memories the whole junk of facts into my head. Maybe I did, but for the important factor. Most of the time, during exam, I write out answers by using my own English, my own words, my own expression. I use my own feeling to handle the essay questions. Something which I guess not many of my classmates did that. They memories the whole model essay book hopping the exact question would come out, which hardly will.

The problem is that many people thought that textbooks or guide books had all the information that needed for exam. But, I find that information from those books is too condensing until people would not be able to know more about the topic. They are trapped in this maze, the maze which prevents them to know more and expand their knowledge.

They have to walk out this maze in order to do well for exam I guess. I don’t know. Different people have different ways to study for their exam. But one thing I know for sure is that – studying is not for the “Paper” we getting, but to know more about the world and expand our knowledge. No harm to know more than what is required for exam.

I guess I shall stop here. If not publisher of textbooks and guide book will sue me for slander. You see, I don’t want to be the next blogger who got sued. ^^

3 Comments:

At 1/28/2007 01:05:00 PM

wah how i wish i saw this post 3 years ago b4 i take my o level sia. >.<

eh kazua, RP 90%+ suits you. No need text book one, can up to u to go online/library search all the info you want. The only poly that works like this. 

Posted by GeckoZ

 
At 1/29/2007 06:32:00 PM

I don't have social studies in secondary school. I am quite relieved about that actually. I heard a lot of people didn't do too well for it. I kinda like to read in Wikipedia about history. It usually links here and there and you just learn more and more from it. That's how I learnt history... accidentally. 

Posted by Mr. Dew

 
At 2/03/2007 12:01:00 AM

GeckoZ, Haha. okay. RP my first choice k?

Mr. Dew, thats the another way to study history. But be careful...internet have a lot of untrue facts. 

Posted by cockroach

 

:
:
:

<< Home

Cockroach//蟑螂

A guy who lives in a small island call “Singapore” where through his everyday life, he found that life isn’t perfect.

Creative Commons License
Except stated otherwise, content of this site is
licensed under a Creative Commons License.