Bilingual Fingers//双语手指

I love English & Chinese
"My life and Singapore aren't perfect"

Weekend

posted by cockroach//蟑螂 at Saturday, August 05, 2006 12:45 AM

Its another weekend which I will be staying at home studying and take care of kids. Doctor gave me an 1 week MC on Thursday because my “machine” is “overheated”. Parents, friends, teachers asked me to rest, but I got no time left. GCE is just around the corner.

I now need to do something with my English, especially spelling, grammar and sentence structure. Because, if I don’t do anything, cockroach will ended up failing the GCE exam. Singapore education made me living in fear because of my English standard. No one helped me in my English when I was young, I don’t have god English foundation, I need to start from the basic. I can score A1s for all my subject but F9 for my English. Study so hard yet in the end because of English, I can’t go anywhere. Sometimes, it make me feel that “study so hard also no use, in the end will also fail the exam.” Lizard said that it is unfair if I got just fail my English and can’t move on. But what can we do? To make my English much better.

Cockroach had tried reading storybooks, newspaper and etc to brush up my English. But the problem is, the words that I learnt can’t go into the brain. The spelling, how people memorize the spelling? How? How? Cockroach is going to be crazy one day because of the failure I made in my studies, pass all subject but English.

Please don’t say cockroach being negative. Even teachers thinks I can’t pass my GCE because of my English. Cockroach is preparing for the worst, where should I go if I fail my GCE?
Cockroach plan:

  1. Work, save up money and go to British Council. Meantime, study for O level in a private school or get a tutor to teach me O level stuff and take exam as private candidates next year.
  2. Or maybe, follow my parent idea, go to ITE.

Which plan is better? Cockroach don’t want to go to ITE, never. I know what I want to achieve in my life, what is my goals, going ITE might just ruin my future.

Can anyone give me advise?

4 Comments:

At 8/07/2006 04:34:00 PM

Sorry, I did not keep my promise to help correct your English.

Anyway, don't give up. 天下无难事。。。 you know the rest. Slowly, don't try to improve everything in one go. Pick up one or two common mistakes and concentrate on improving that alone, than move on to other areas. For example, I told you before that you are very fond of using the word 'got' (as in kena); this is very Singlish. No good.

Here are a couple of tips:

Its another weekend which I will be staying at home studying and take care of kids.

"Its" is not correct ... should be it's.

"Its" = belonging to e.g. the cat licked its paws
It's = it has, or it is.

"which" is used incorrectly .. implies that the weekend has to stay at home.

My suggestion: "It's another weekend, and I have to stay at home to study and take care of kids.

"Because, if I don't do anything .." Too many words, bad structure. Just say, :Otherwise, cockcroach will end (not ended) up .... Actually, better to say .."Otherwise cockcroach will certainly fail his GCE.

In English, you try of say what you want to say with the minumum number of words. So after writing you should try review and take away or replace some of the phrases and words.

Hope it helps. 

Posted by Lam Chun See

 
At 8/08/2006 04:58:00 PM

Lam Chun See,

It’s ok. Everyone is busy, so I didn’t wish to bother other people. Thanks for correcting this entry. To be honest, I had been using “its” in all my composition. *sigh* 

Posted by cockroach

 
At 8/12/2006 11:37:00 PM

I too often get confused between its and it's. I had to check the dictionary before I posted the comment. 

Posted by Lam Chun See

 
At 8/13/2006 12:36:00 PM

Dear Cockroach,
Please don't be discouraged. Just do your best. Even if you go to ITE, it's not the end. There are people who went to ITE and obtained first class honours in university. I will help to correct your mistakes here as much as I can from now if you don't mind. ""take care of kids" should be taking care of kids because you are using "and" between staying and taking. "cockroach will ended up" --- will should never be followed by a past tense. "Singapore education made me living in fear" --- the verb after made should be live and not living and it is Singapore's education."But what can we do? To make my English much better."--- this should be a single sentence and not broken into two. Don't make your sentences too long. The longer the sentence, the more mistakes you will make and you don't have to use bombastic words to make your essay interesting. I hope what my feedback is useful to you.
 

Posted by bloomwood

 

:
:
:

<< Home

Cockroach//蟑螂

A guy who lives in a small island call “Singapore” where through his everyday life, he found that life isn’t perfect.

Creative Commons License
Except stated otherwise, content of this site is
licensed under a Creative Commons License.