Bilingual Fingers//双语手指

I love English & Chinese
"My life and Singapore aren't perfect"

Children Stress

posted by cockroach//蟑螂 at Sunday, March 05, 2006 2:51 AM

“Ai yo…you see, my ah boy got talent in drawing. Must send him to go for art class”
Her mother said that when his son, age 6 draw a carton character but doesn’t look like one to me.

“Wah…I just now heard my ah girl singing quite nice leh…you know which music school is good? I want to send her for music classes.”
His father said, as he heard her girl singing nursery rhymes in class.

Parents often thought their children have talent on certain things when the children actually don’t. Kids actually have some skills on certain things like singing, dancing, drawing is actually taught by teachers in the per-school classes. Parents often mistaken those skills as talent and send them to enrichment classes and force to learn stuff they don’t want to.

Mother: Ah boy, I send you to learn piano want or not?
Ah boy: Don’t want!
Mother: Want lah…your classmate zhu zhu got learnt leh. Go and learnt also lah.
Ah boy: Don’t want!
Mother: (getting angry) I tell you har…you better go and learnt and don’t make me lose face I tell you. You want to eat Chao Kuay Tiao (cane) is it?
Ah boy: I go…I go…

Because of competition and/or kiasu Singapore parent, parents see others kid go to what lesson; they also send their kids to learn those things regardless the kids have the interest or not. Children don’t have the choice, children have been use to be a tool where parents can show off with. Poor Singapore kids…

But again, sometimes it is because of influencing. You know teenage influent their friend to smoke right? Our Singapore Parents also influent each other too:

Mama 007: Ai yo…I just send my ah boy to learn the don’t know what Drama thing, you want your ah girl to go or not?
Mama 1800: Don’t want lah, Ah girl primary 3 got a lot of spelling and homework, I don’t want to give them stress. That time got send her to the Drama thing then she not interested also, don’t force her.
Mama 007: Ai yo, like that where got force her? Last time we want also don’t have, now we should give our children what we don’t have. Nowadays children don’t know how to treasure what they have and they don’t show interest in it. Until they grow up then they know what we gave them when they are young. You want or not, I sure your ah girl will know you do all those things for her own good when she grow up.
Mama 1800: Okay, give me to number, latter I call and sign up.

As Singapore’s economic is growing from time to time, the way parents treat their children is different as Singapore can afford better things for the children compared with parents in 1965. Parents tend to give what they don’t used to have to their children nowadays which led to more stress to the children.
Sometimes, kids attend enrichment classes basic on their interest, but however somehow the parents can give stress in it:

Papa: Ah boy, why you learn piano for so long still in grade 3? You want learn piano, I let you learn but must faster get piano diploma and let papa and mama see mah.
Ah boy: But learn piano not just practical, also got theory.
Papa: Nonsense! You better practice your piano everyday and get your piano diploma and make us feel proud of it. If not, you don’t go and learnt piano anymore!

Ah boy: But...I really like to play piano

Dear parents, let your children do what they want basic on their interest and don’t make their interest a source of stress for them.

4 Comments:

At 3/07/2006 11:28:00 PM

I enjoy reading your posts. Helps me to understand young people. But I wish you can make your font size a little bigger. I literally get headache reading your blogs.
Thanks. 

Posted by Lam Chun See

 
At 3/11/2006 12:39:00 AM

Lam Chun See, thanks for enjoying reading. I thought no one will read my blog. I will try to imrpove my English so everyone can understand better

I had made the font bigger, hope that helps! 

Posted by cockroach//蟑螂

 
At 3/13/2006 07:33:00 PM

wei, next time if I become one of those parent hor, remind me hor. 

Posted by maria @ twinsmom

 
At 3/15/2006 07:32:00 PM

sure, sure...but you will force your children to do what they don't like meh? don't tell me cooking and food hor.... 

Posted by cockroach//蟑螂

 

:
:
:

<< Home

Cockroach//蟑螂

A guy who lives in a small island call “Singapore” where through his everyday life, he found that life isn’t perfect.

Creative Commons License
Except stated otherwise, content of this site is
licensed under a Creative Commons License.