Bilingual Fingers//双语手指

I love English & Chinese
"My life and Singapore aren't perfect"

NS in Singapore

posted by cockroach//蟑螂 at Saturday, November 12, 2005 2:48 AM

This few months when I visit some blogs, they are complaining about NS (National Services). NS is introduced in 1967. All 18 year old able-bodied male citizens were call for part time or full time national service for training and commanded by a small regular force.

“!@#$%^&*, who is the stupid idiot came out with the idea of NS?”

“We, the Singaporean guy did not benefit because, oversea workers don’t have to go NS, and they can show and prove themselves while we are away for training.”
And etc, etc, complaining none stop and cursing the person who came out with the idea of NS.

But ever wonder people like me, who want to get muscle, six packs, National Services army training is the great place. In fact, guy who went there will become fitter, and of course, as what Kim (My friend) said “When a guy just comes out from NS, he is a real 100% big man with man smell.”

Cockroach here can’t longer take it. So here I am! Here, the Cockroach will give people lesson why NS got started in the first place.

To defence Singapore, Singapore had used a two-pronged approach for peace and security which is Deterrence and Diplomacy. And under Deterrence, we got this Military strength which stated that “armed forces are powerful enough to deter any aggressor – a potential enemy thinks twice before attacking.”

In deterrence, we got A Citizen Armed Forces, Total defence, Defence Industry and Military Co-operation. And “Citizen Armed Forces” is how NS come from.

Based on the premise that Singapore must be military self-reliant and ready to defend itself and Singaporeans are duty-bound to defend their country. With comprised only 50 officers and 1,000 men, and two small naval vessels, no air force at the time in 1965, NS is introduced. Image, only 50 office and 1,000 men to fight for country at that time, with small population of less than two million and REMEMBER, manpower is need in factories in industries. The government have no choice to come out with this idea. Once more, at that time, there were insufficient funds to support a professional army. (That time Singapore no money!!!)

BUT…

Think again, now Singapore is rich, now men are busy working for money. Now is “No money, No talk.” Maybe, Singapore may change a bit, can we don’t go back for training after our NS? Or, maybe, gives us SD$1,000 per day after our NS for the days we went back for training. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Hope that people who read it will love NS and not hate NS. Looking forward your NS life and blog about it in a fun way!

6 Comments:

At 11/12/2005 06:10:00 PM

I used to really hate NS too. I gotten over it already. I found something that I like that and decided to devote myself - well - liking it more. Still, I can't say that I like NS. At least, I dare say I don't _hate_ NS. I've posted  on my blog about how I manage to be happier, hahaa... 

Posted by Mr. Dew

 
At 11/12/2005 10:41:00 PM

Ha! Ha! Ha! I am going to read it. :) 

Posted by cockroach//蟑螂

 
At 11/13/2005 05:22:00 AM

i like 6 packs like ninja turtle liddat, but at the same time, like wad Mr Dew felt previously, it's like NO FREEDOME AR! 

Posted by 壁虎

 
At 11/13/2005 07:33:00 PM

hahaha...no freedome har? I also now no freedome. :) I also want to have dark dark skin leh...lol...Now not fit at all.go NS sure die. 

Posted by cockroach//蟑螂

 
At 11/14/2005 12:14:00 AM

i oso lar.. see when i wan to posst something abt my own fitness. 

Posted by 壁虎

 
At 11/22/2005 07:03:00 PM

And you already posted. :) 

Posted by cockroach//蟑螂

 

:
:
:

<< Home

Cockroach//蟑螂

A guy who lives in a small island call “Singapore” where through his everyday life, he found that life isn’t perfect.

Creative Commons License
Except stated otherwise, content of this site is
licensed under a Creative Commons License.